Holy Father Pope Francis
10 Facts about our new Holy Father Pope Francis. Major curveball. Who saw this coming? Here are 10 quick facts about Pope Francis (Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio):
- Pope Francis, Jorge Bergoglio, was born in Buenos Aires, one of the five children of an Italian railway worker and his wife.
- He's a Jesuit. The first Jesuit Pope ever.
- Pope Francis is known for his humility, doctrinal conservatism, defender of the Church's moral theology, and a commitment to social justice.
- He has been critical of liberation theology.
- He is close to Comunione e Liberazione.
- He has opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage.
- In Argentina, he has been accused by anti-clericalists as being "medieval" (another good sign).
- Pope John Paul II made him a cardinal in 2001.
- He has served on the Congregation of Clergy, Congregation of Divine Worship and Sacraments, Congregation of Institutes of Consecrated Life, the Congregation of Societies of Apostolic Life, and the Commission on Latin American and the Family Council.
- He was concurrently named ordinary for Eastern Catholics in Argentina, who lacked their own prelate. So he can, presumably, celebrate the Divine Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom.